We at Fristaden wish everyone a happy May Day. May Day is celebrated to welcome the arrival of spring and is considered the first summer day of the year. The earliest celebrations date back to the time before Christianity. Nowadays, people come together to drink mead, eat doughnuts and gather at the traditional May Day bonfire.
- 1,5 dl lukewarm milk
- 1,5 dl sugar
- 50g yeast
- 2 eggs
- 9 dl flour
- 0,5 tsp salt
- 100g butter (room temperature)
- 1l neutral rapeseed oil
- Heat the milk to 37 degrees (finger warm).
- Mix milk, 1 tbsp sugar, and yeast in a bowl.
- Leave for 15 minutes until small bubbles appear.
- Mix the yeast mixture with the rest of the sugar, flour, salt, eggs, and butter in a food processor.
- Work the dough for about 10 minutes in a food processor or 15 minutes by hand.
- Cover with a tea towel and let rise for about 1 hour until doubled in size.
- Roll out the dough until it's approx. 1-2 cm thick. Cut into rings and leave to rise for another 30 min.
- Heat the oil to 180 degrees and fry for 1 minute on each side. Drain and roll in caster sugar.
- Eat while hot, and enjoy!